Friday, January 14, 2011

The Year Without Baseball?

It's the time of year to start thinking about signing up for spring sports. The kids brought a soccer flier home from school yesterday, and my husband saw an ad in the paper for baseball sign-ups.

Our youngest came home with the soccer flier and stated he may want to try soccer this year. We told him he could play either soccer or baseball, but not both. He played T ball the past two years, so I wasn't sure how he would take this news. He was fairly indifferent until I reminded him of his friend (from church, not school, so they don't see much of each other) that played on his team last year. He then decided he wanted to be on a team with his friend again, but didn't quite get that it would likely not be the soccer team. He eventually came to the conclusion that "Either sport is fine," which means that I need to check with the friend's mom to find out if he plans on playing baseball again before we make a final decision.

Our oldest has played baseball for four seasons, starting when he was five on a coach pitch team, then machine pitch, then last year was the first year of kid pitch. My son is "That Kid." You know, the one who plays in the dirt, stands in the outfield with his glove on his head. Not being a sports fan myself, I never really cared that he was "That Kid." I figured someone had to be, and it might as well be the kid that didn't have the overly competitive parents.

I knew we were reaching a crossroads with baseball this year. Even though all the kids play, there is definitely a higher level of competition at this age, and not paying attention to the game while you're in the outfield just won't fly anymore. There was an incident two summers ago when my son, then seven, was playing in left field. He wasn't paying attention, the inning was over, the other team took the field, and he was still standing in left field! To cut him a little slack, the opposing team was wearing the same color shirts, but still...He certainly gave truth the expression, "out in left field."

I asked him yesterday if he wanted to play baseball again this year. His response was, "Not really. I still like baseball, I just don't want to play." I told him we were okay with his decision, but was curious as to why. He explained that he wasn't that good. I had my guilty mom moment when I realized he probably read my annual Christmas letter, where I said it was a "good thing he had other talents because baseball wasn't one of them."

I think my husband may be a little disappointed that this could be the Year Without Baseball. He has served as an assistant coach on both boys' teams (which could have potentially contributed to the oldest's lack of interest, but that's another matter) and, of all the sports, baseball is definitely his favorite. I'm not too concerned for the six year old. He is still young enough to still be deciding what he likes and where his strengths are. I am torn on my feelings for my nine year old. Part of me feels bad that he will no longer fantasize about being in the majors someday (isn't this something that all boys do at some point?). I think there is a bigger part of me, though, that is proud of him for recognizing his limitations and not simply doing something because he thinks it is expected of him.

It remains to be seen if 2011 will, in fact, be the Year Without Baseball. Maybe we'll experience soccer for the first time. Maybe we'll really take a walk on the wild side and not have one more activity to add to the schedule for a few months. That could be refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment