Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dad's Album

I finally seem to be getting back into scrapping mode. I finished the boys' Disney pages, so I'm trying to squash the vacation-planning beast, with a little, very little, success. I've completed five layouts in the past day and a half, so I could say that I am on a roll. I just received my giant print order from Winkflash, so I can get going on my 2009 album any time now.

The last two pages I've done, though, are for my dad's album. About six or seven years ago, I manged to get my hands on some photos from my grandparents, as well as some information on names and dates. I put the information into a spread sheet (and I have to say I'm glad I had a hard copy, as our computer crashed last year, and that was one of the casualties). The first year, I made my dad a couple of pages as a Christmas gift using some of the photos. He's one of these people who really means it when he says not to spend your money on him, so I stopped. Each year I make him two pages. Somewhere along the line we did purchase an album to put them in. It's become a tradition now, and I think he looks forward to seeing what part of his history he'll get a glimpse of next. Some of the photos date back to around 1915, before my grandparents were even born.

Here's something I want to throw out there: Is anyone out there like me when it comes to scrapbook-related gifts? I know that I am more critical of my work than most of my recipients would be, so I don't always put forth my best effort when I'm making gifts. Now, that's not to say I do a sloppy job or anything. I just may not use my absolute favorite or newest papers, or I'll keep my designs even simpler than usual. I'm guessing this may be the opposite of what most other crafters would do.

In any case, here's what I came up with for my dad this year. I like to get these done early, so I can tell myself that I've already started on my Christmas shopping!
That's my grandfather, probably around eighteen.

And that's my dad, at around the same age.

Hopefully I can ride this wave of momentum I seem to have created, although I'm afraid it may crash before I can make a dent in this new pile of photos. I will probably get hung up on whether I want to barrel on through and get the boys' albums current, or go ahead and start my 2009 photos. If I can't decide, there are always the Disney planning sites to distract me.

No comments:

Post a Comment