Saturday, January 21, 2012

Derby Day and Disney Day 1 Done!

How's that for a lot of "D's?" I thought of doing two separate posts, but figured if I did one, I'd forget the other, so you get everything together.

Today was the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby, which is always one of the highlights of the scouting year. This was the first year that both of my boys were competing in the race, although since they race by rank, they weren't competing directly against each other.

Caleb chose a pencil design for his first "official" car (he made a car last year for the open class division--any siblings or parents were welcome to make cars that were not part of the official race). Dad did the cutting, but the sanding and painting was his job. His car was definitely among the most popular, even if it didn't turn out to be among the fastest. He came in third out of nine in his division, which is not a bad showing, but only the top two finishers of each rank advance to districts.

Aaron decided on a slightly less creative design this year. It was pretty much your standard race car, but he did design the paint job on his own. He was the defending pack champion, but I don't think he felt any pressure (he's not really that kind of kid). His car wasn't fast enough this year to win it all, but he did take second place out of nine in his division, which is enough to advance to the district race.

I was proud of the sportsmanship both boys showed, especially Caleb. He has a tendency to get overly emotional when things don't go as he'd planned, so I'm happy he held it together when he realized that his brother was moving on and he was not. Actually, I think he may not have fully grasped the situation; in any case, there were no meltdowns and for that I'm grateful.

It's a good thing I've gotten some more Disney scrapbook pages done, since I'm going to need to take a break from it soon (I knew Scouts and Disney somehow were tied together...). Next month, Aaron will cross over from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts and I've decided that his Cub Scout scrapbook needs to be complete in time for the occasion. That means Disney will have to take a back seat while I get the Scout album caught up.

I have reached a milestone in the Disney album this week. The first full day of the trip is finished! I only have four more days to go. I admit, though, that as I'm working on this album, I really think the 2011 trip is going to be showcased in a photo book instead of a traditional scrapbook. I already have over 25 pages covering a day and a half of vacation, and I'm not even using all the photos I have. I just hope I'll be able to fit everything into one book!

Anyway, here is what I've done this week.
Papers: Disney, EK Success
Stickers: Disney
Cricut Cartridge: Mickey Font
Punch: EK Success

Papers: Provo Craft, Disney
Stickers: Disney

Papers: DCWV
Stickers: Disney
Cricut Cartridges: Jasmine, Alphalicious
Other: Stickles

Papers: DCWV, unknown
Stickers: Disney
Cricut Cartridge: Mickey Font
Stamps: Hero Arts
Punch: Fiskars

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying all your layouts Lisa. Also, I can understand why the pencil racer design was popular...too cool! Congrats to both boys for derby participation and congratulations to Aaron on becoming a Boy Scout...time is flying.

    ReplyDelete